Sunday, January 15, 2012

Kirkland/Costco brand cosmetic brushes review

Well I am back, I don't know that I have anyone even reading or following me at present anyways so I am sure no one really missed my absence lol,
but none the less I am back and I have lots of posts to schedule!

But for starters, last time I posted I shared all sorts of Urban Decay goodies I got under the Christmas tree this year, but I also mention brushes....
Now the Upside to this taking so long to post if that I can now actually do a review on what I think of these products too!

SO first just to let you know where I stand with makeup brushes I do not own an expensive high end makeup brushes at the present time. The brushes I presently own are Mark Kay, which I do love they have beer great for every day use they are natural hair brushes. I also own a large "Mac" set, 2 small "Mac " sets and a large "Victoria's Secret" set. Now you may be wondering, I thought she said she doesn't own any expensive or high end brushes....I don't before I knew any better when I was starting to get into making and doing friends weddings etc I needed brushes so I shopped on ebay... So I thought I was getting amazing deals on brushes and it turns out I am almost 100% positive they are all knock offs, but they work ok, and have gotten me by until now and I am going to work on building a better collection of brushes over time. I also have a few other miscellaneous brushes I got at Imats like 2 years ago that have been great to me as well, and next on my list are some sigma brushes... but for now I have the Costco Kirkland brushes just added to my collection.

(I am having camera issues so these photos were found online so I claim no rights to them)
So this is a 10 piece brush collection and a brush roll. It was $25.00 in store before the Holidays (make sure to read through the bottom for a great deal)
This brush set has a combination of synthetic and natural hair brushes.
so looking at the photo above we will go through them from left to right then the 2 at the top.

1) Powder Brush: Natural fibers, plump domed fluffy brush
Very soft bristles nice density for loose powders. I have been using this brush for setting powders and HD silica powders etc and I am loving it! It is one of the largest brushes I have in my collection, but I am loving it with the loose powders

2) Finishing Brush: duo fiber stippling brush
very soft, but a little large for my taste for applying liquid foundations on their own, I could be wrong since I haven;t used it that way yet, but what I am loving it for it, I have been using the new L'Oreal Visible Lift foundation with the brush top applicator. I love that foundation right now for winter, but it does apply it a little heavy and it is a shiny finish foundation for me. so after I place/apply the liquid foundation where I want it for the coverage I want I go in with this brush and I buff using a swirling motion and it blends out the foundation and gets rid of any extra product and leaves with a more matte super smooth finish to the foundation, this is by far my favorite brush of the bunch!

3) Foundation Concealer Brush: paointed/tapered synthetic brush designed to get into all the knooks and crannies of the face and eye area. Now at first I thought this may be too large and it still may be as I think I use more product that I would like but when using concealer under the eye it does work the product into the fine lines and allows you to buff and blend it out so it doesn't look thick and cakey

4) Cheek Brush: a flat topped natural hair brush
I love flat topped brushes for just about everything from mineral powder application, contouring and cheeks... I have a flat topped brush from MK i use for my MK mineral powder foundation which is great so this one I have been using with bronzer to contour my cheek bones and jaw line, and I have been using with my cheek colors as well. Very little product goes a long way with this baby! and it buffs and blends out the product so nicely

5) Crease Eye brush: not specified on the papers if this is natural or synthetic but I am almost positive it is a natural hair brush, soft fluffy large blending brush. this is the largest of the crease brushes I own and I love it! its wonderful with blending and buffing. I have also used for some soft contouring around the nose and eye areas and its great!

6) Angled Eye Brush: natural fiber angled brush very soft and has a good density for applying eye shadows, does have a "flat" top so to speak I used it it was nice but I don;t find myself reaching for it much.

7) All Over Eye Brush: soft dense tapered shadow brush natural fibers, great for packing on colors , just an all around great eye shadow brush

8) Liner Brush: synthetic flat liner brush, I love that the bristles are not too long on the brush they are a good length and goo density for cream, get or powder products

9) Highlighting Brush: this the the synthetic fiber half moon brush on the left at the top, supposed to be great for contouring and highlighting and travel etc I haven't really used this specific brush yet, but feels like it would be a great all purpose face brush for my purse

10) Contour Kabuki Brush: I love Kabuki Brushes great small handheld brushes that you can do practically anything with for the face. Blend out liquid or cream foundations to soften the application, apply powders, bronzers, blushes etc of the few different Kabuki brushes I own I do not have a single angled one. This one is angled and shaped. it doesn't specify natural or synthetic but i am sure it is synthetic. It's great for contouring to get in the hollows of the cheeks and blends out beautifully, and cheeks gives a great soft blended blush

Over all I think its a great brush set. they have acrylic handles with an aubergine color core. Because they are acrylic you don't have to worry about damage if they get wet, and they are easier to clean and sterilize as well, which may not seem important to everyone to have sterilized handles on your brushes but when you do make up on other people the less bacteria you come in contact with and spread around the better. The ferrules of the brushes are firmly attached, and all of the round brushes are perfectly round not pinched in this allows for the brushes to maintain a great shape. All of the brushes are soft and full, the bristles and well packed and balanced evenly.

The last piece of the set not included in the count is the makeup brush roll, also in an Aubergine/eggplant/plum color vinyl with a alligator skin texture. The exterior is easy to wipe clean. Once opened there is a place for each brush a protective flap to cover the brush heads and keep them clean, and a removable zip closure mesh pouch that you can use to hold the travel brushes or take a specific brush or 2 and a few cosmetics with you on the go.
Overall I love this set and for the price of $25, or 27.19 after tax here in Southern California that is 2.72/brush not including the brush roll, that is a great Deal! good quality for a great price. And it gets even better... yesterday I was at my local Costco and they still had half a palette left! and the price was cut to 19.99! I of course bought a 2nd set! so now one for my personal use only and one for my Freelance Kit only... So I have decided if next time I go to Costco if they still have them I am going to buy at least one or 2 more...not for myself but rather for this site! I think I will have to hold some sort of raffle or contest, but I don't know yet I will have to wait until next Friday to find out, so if you are out there and reading sign up to follow my blog here and I will keep you updated if we will be having a give away soon.


Stay Beautiful,
Lindsay



No comments:

Post a Comment